Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Valentine's Day

Welcome to my blog! I thought that it would be appropriate to start this blog for single women on Valentine's Day, a holiday that celebrates couples in love and makes anyone who is alone feel like a loser or invisible or both. It's enough to make you want to bomb the offices at Hallmark. Why is it that we only feel self-worth when someone is in love with us?
I used to be on the Anti-Valentine's bandwagon, calling the holiday Black Wednesday, dressing in black, listening to The Smiths and boycotting all things Valentine's. Then I realized that I can treat myself to something special today because I DESERVE it. I don't need to wait for a man to do it for me. I say make the holiday your own and do something nice for yourself today. Buy flowers, chocolate, a new perfume, a sexy thong, a sushi dinner, watch When Harry Met Sally -- whatever it is that you enjoy and makes you smile. Don't wait for a man to do it (chances are he'd get it wrong anyway).
Today I brought in roses to work and went around the office giving all the women a flower. I was amazed at how happy it made everyone and how excited some women were because this was the only flower they were going to get today. I was in such a good mood for the rest of the day. Sometimes giving really is better than receiving!

No comments: